Monday 12 March 2012

My Favourite Reads

As a belated World Book Day 2012 I want to share with you some of my favourite reads! As a book lover and story enthusiast and (hopeful) writer, I believe that books are a huge part of our culture. We need books in our lives. Babies learn words and ways of life through story books. Children learn through stories, just as teenagers do. Even adults learn a few things through the stories they read.

As a storyteller, one day I want to write stories with so much love and heart to inspire readers in their everyday lives.

So, in ELLE UK style, here is a list of the books which inspires me.

The Time Traveler's Wife: Audrey Niffenegger


This has to be my favourite book. (Yes, it beats the Twilight Saga and The Vampire Diaries series!) It's about love, and the reality of love combined with something a little out of the ordinary, that isn't vampires or werewolves. The first and only time I read this was the summer before my second year of sixth form. I was 17. We had to read it for English Literature and write down various quotes and summaries of different chapters. It wasn't a difficult task! It is written beautifully and you completely fall in love with Henry and Clare! I would completely recommend!

The Twilight Saga: Stephenie Meyer


When I first found out about the Twilight Saga, it was 2008 when the first film was about to be premiered. I received the first three books for Christmas and read them all within about three or four days. I could not put them down! Meyer is gifted with words, the way she creates an unconventional love between two different beings. The films, I am saddened to say, have become ultimate cheese as of late, and don't do the books justice. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart and the rest of the cast are great but some of the late scripts are just cheese.

The Woman in White: Wilkie Collins


As a Literature student, I have to read a lot of books. This year, I've been doing Victorian Literature, and The Woman in White is one of the books that I've enjoyed the most. If I read it again at some point in the future, I would probably enjoy it more due to the lack of stress and force to read it in two weeks. It's a sensation novel, and as a sensation novel has death, lies, manipulation, love, fraud, and other things to contribute to a great story.

The Goddess Guide: Giséle Scanlon


This book has got everything in it that a woman needs! My best friend bought this book first in year ten I think it was, and she took it everywhere with her. I loved poring over each and every detailed, colourful page and taking in every single tip that she gave. I even based two of my HerUni posts on the tips she gives. I would love to buy her later version just to get more of her inspiration!

Peter and Wendy: J.M. Barrie


I watched the Disney version of Peter Pan a million times when I was younger. My favourite characters were TinkerBell and the mermaids. Then came Hook, then the version starring Jeremy Sumpter, but I had never actually read the book until last December for my Children's Literature module. I never realised how sad and tragic the book actually was, and it made me realise that I never want to be left behind. Yes, I'd love to be young for a very long time, but Peter forgets everyone who dies, and that is what is tragic. It is such a creative and lovely book that I want to read over and over again.


Evidently, books will be added to this list as my life goes on, and as I love to read, there will probably be 100 of my favourite reads by the time I get to eighty.

faye xoxo

2 comments:

  1. The twillight saga is really good!!!!I luv it!!
    De
    www.blog101.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the rest of the world I loved twilight too!! Time travelers wife was very sweet ( though i watched the movie in this case instead of reading the book ) I wanted the goddess guide but did not end up buying it...
    xx
    http://junebiswas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete