Thursday 7 June 2012

HerUni: End Of Year Declutter

It’s that time of year when we (some, not all) move back home, to live with our parents. It is also that time of year when you think: I’m going to get rid of half my wardrobe, half my jewellery box, and half my DVDs, books etc. It is definitely that time of year for me.


Do you see her sad face as she packs away all her pretty shoes to be sold? This is the face I thought I would wear as I hang dresses that I haven’t worn for years seperate (in the ‘selling’ section) from the dresses that I wear all the time for special occasions. In fact, I have a happy face as I figure out what I want to keep or get rid of. Right now, I have nearly a whole rack of dresses, tops and trousers I want to sell, piles of pyjama’s and t-shirts that I hardly ever wear, and boxes of shoes that are different to the style I prefer nowadays. I’ve sorted through piles of clothes that I never thought I had, and a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The only thing I’m worried about is getting too happy about decluttering my closet and ridding myself of something that I’d want to wear again in the future (Nevertheless, my wardrobe is still spilling over with clothes despite decluttering it!).

If any of you want to have a complete sort out of your room, from clothes to books, here are some tips as to how to go about it:

1. Clothes. If they are too small, too big, too wide etc. move them into the ‘get rid’ pile. If you haven’t worn that dress, or that top in the past six months, or you left it behind whilst you were at university (it obviously wasn’t that important!), give away or sell. If, like me you are going away to a different country for a year, and you know you won’t need half the clothes in the different climate, get rid. Besides, this is a great excuse to go shopping for a completely new wardrobe!

2. Shoes. I know that for some girls, this will be difficult. Shoes are our best friends. However, if you haven’t worn them, the heels are too small (as heels are never too high!), some of the straps are broken etc. etc. it is time to say goodbye. Just think of the Kurt Geiger’s that you’ve been dreaming of, and this will help you through!

3. Books, DVDs, CDs. In this day and age when we have the Kindle, the iPod, online sites such as Netflix and LoveFilm, is there really any point to hardbacks, or actual disks anymore? I believe, yes. Some may say no, and this could be the reason for decluttering your bookcase of films you haven’t watched in years, or CDs you don’t listen to anymore, or books that you don’t read.

4. Jewellery. Jewellery is sometimes difficult when it comes to earrings and bellybars as you are not allowed to return them to the shop, therefore you shouldn’t really be selling them. Bracelets and necklaces are easy (once you’ve detangled them all), and you could get a couple of pound for them if you choose to sell them at a car booty (like I’ll be doing soon!).

Finally, sort through all the paper (bank statements, uni work, random bits of paper) and decide what you need or want. Organise them into folders so they’re easy to get to without worrying whether you have lost that important document.

As some people say: Declutter your house (in our cases bedrooms), declutter your life!

Image: expressnightout.com


faye xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment